Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Time I Got a Reality Check

I am, for the most part, a huge complainer. I have gripes and whines on a daily basis. Now, some of this, granted is totally justifiable. You see, I'm the one that is next in line at the check out when the teenage girl smiles (semi)politely and says, "My light is off, I'm closing after this woman" (and THIS WOMAN doesn't refer to me, Miss Optimistic) Oh, and there's the time I didn't put the recycling and garbage far enough to the side of the driveway and I backed out of the garage RIGHT into it. I just happened to be about 8 months pregnant at the time. I was frantically chasing every single empty can, bottle and tiny scrap of paper we had meant for recycling around the driveway as it was blowing into a small whirlwind all throughout our entire complex. I can't count the number of times I've gone to a specific store for ONE THING that I had a coupon for or was in the ad and REALLY NEEDED and they are out of it.....what a waste of time. I could go on and on and my husband would vouch for my terrible luck.

But, then there are days like today when I am stopped in my tracks. I can no longer find things to complain about because I hear or see something that changes me. There are children in this world that are unloved. THAT in and of itself is enough to make me cry. There are elderly men and women in pain and scared, without a friend or loved one to just stop by and say," hello". There is someone who just found out today that they have a terminal illness, lost a child, a spouse, got divorced. Someone is looking for a place to sleep, their next fix, a new job, a husband or wife. Someone is just VERY SICK of being lonely.

So sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I just had to share. I am moved by stories of courage and those who can survive all that life has to throw their way. When I think of the challenges I have faced in my life I have to laugh. I know at times I thought that the world was coming to an end. In light of each of those situations though I have found a new joy. It is true. God is so very good!! It is hard to count blessings when you are having trouble seeing them. Take a minute longer today and start by counting this blessing - take a big deep breath in. YOU ARE ALIVE. This is reality- and I'm checkin' you baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment