Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The time I camped out

Ah, there was a time in my life when things just worked! I had moved halfway across the country to live with my "summer romance" crush that I had been in love with since I was 12. My parents had basically disowned me, but I was free, independent, I was working a job that I really enjoyed (Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens) and I was getting a 4.0 at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Finally, My major was that which I was interested and also excelled. Life was challenging, but just predictable enough that I felt safe. I was sure that "Mr. Summer Romance" was the one and he told me almost daily that I was his ONE.

Let me just say right now, I am so glad that he wasn't the one. It turns out so much better that he ended up being the "NOT THE ONE". Because what came along after that, SOOOOO much better. I can't really even say more about that.

So, the night I camped out.

Like I said, life was candy and roses. I was in this amazing bliss. There was just one thing I didn't consider. This guy, was a cheater. He had always been a cheater, but somehow had masked it well and possibly had even been clean for a while. Regardless, we were coming to the end of our lease at the Archie Bunker Houses and decided to lease across the street at "RIVERSIDE" apartments. These places were Pimp! Underground parking, elevator, giant pool, hot tub, balcony overlooking the Fox River. Basically it was the SHIZNIT. We moved in around the end of May or June. We had been living together for a little over 2 years. All I can say is that everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was perfect. That was why we decided to buy some furniture together. Bedroom set, Living room set and all of it new and very modern NOW stuff. Dropped about $1200 total probably.

We move in in June and his Birthday is June 19th (I think) yeah so he turns 21 and let me tell you, THE FIT HIT THE SHAN. He was out every night, not coming home, lying, sleeping in his car the works. We finally had a huge blowout at Country America (This huge 3 day festival of country music in Oshkosh). You see, he wanted to drive drunk with his buddies in a Winnebago up to some po-dunk town 20 miles away at 1 in the morning and .......well, I didn't think it was a good idea. He didn't care what I thought. Didn't turn out well.

I left and went to stay with my sister in Minneapolis for a few days and when I came back things just fell apart slowly. He left and moved out (This was July 4th approximately one month into our 12 month lease). He didn't really even give an explanation. I know this sounds like a pathetic crazy freak, but the day I came home from work and all his stuff was gone, I couldn't breathe. I had like a mini panic attack and I thought the world was ending.

Lucky for me the world didn't end. It was great actually. After I found that I could no longer sleep in that $800 bed without waking up gasping and knowing full well I hadn't been breathing I decided to bring up our camping gear from storage and I set it up out in the empty living room (He had taken all the living room furniture except my big green chair). I camped out there for nearly 2 months. It seems strange now to think about it, but inside that tent, it was a different world. Even though I couldn't leave that horrible place we shared and get rid of every memory of us,I honestly could zip that tent shut and it was gone. Best sleep I've had in most of my life.

Next time: I really don't know 'til it just comes to me in the middle of peeling an apple or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment